Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 NASB
Hey Parents & Grandparents!
I want to share something that’s been on my heart for a while. “Having a Good Foundation in Christ for our Children”
The world isn’t getting better.
Jesus hasn’t returned yet.
Social Media is telling all of us, especially our vulnerable children, how we should or shouldn’t feel, how we should look, what to wear. Jean ads with half naked people. Endless pictures that stay in our minds.
Alcohol… all at their fingertips.
TV shows are not for kids anymore.
Everything is trying to feed our children’s minds ― and ours. If we don’t get a handle on it in our own homes, society will.
Society has God totally out of the picture. It’s all about feeding our own pleasures. Not caring about others. You need to take care of you. UGH!
For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. But the wisdom from above is first pure, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. James 3:16-17
Their little minds are being molded by their friends, the media, YouTube, their teachers, other family members, outsiders, things they hear at home or someone else’s house.
Have you noticed, the small amount of truth in some people’s statements??? Who does that sound like?
The enemy always tells us half-truths just to get our attention. And if we are not fully grounded in Christ, the enemy will sink us quickly.
Bottom Line, IT STARTS WITH YOU!
Parents! Bring up your children up in a safe, Christ-centered home.
God absolutely needs to be a part of you as an individual and as a family.
I’m not being a Pollyanna. I know it’s not always easy. But I wasn’t raised that way and by age eleven I was involved in sooo many things I shouldn’t have been ― but that’s a story for another day!
What do we do?
- We pray a lot for our kids and grandchildren. Praying for them never ends
- The book of Proverbs (the whole Bible really) is full of good advice for parents and children.
- We show them Jesus ALL the time!
- Make sure they are in fellowship with the church body and have solid mentors. “Not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:25 NASB
- Get involved with your children. Don’t let them do life alone. There are other things that will entice them. They need you to be fully present in their lives.
- Seek good counsel. Maybe a Christian counselor. Sometimes we need another person’s advice. It’s been said, “Raising a child takes a village.” So true! “But if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all generously and without reproach.” James 1:5 NASB
- And for heaven’s sake, pray for their future spouses. Ask God to bring the right one into their lives.
Remember, we do not always know the hearts of our kids or anyone for that matter. I can’t stress enough, we need to pray protection over their minds and hearts.
Be of sober spirit, be on the alert, your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
Therefore, be careful how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Ephesians 5:15-17
We have an enemy that HATES family and Christ followers!!
DON’T forget that!!!
He will tear apart, kill and destroy everything in your path if you aren’t holding onto JESUS! Your children need to know their Heavenly Father to be able to withstand the enemy and they need to know that Mom and Dad do too.
Ask yourself, who am I serving? And who do my children serve? What is in their little hearts and minds?
I pray that it’s Jesus.
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for our children and grandchildren. We need Your help and Your Wisdom to guide and raise these little ones. We need Your Holy Spirit to come into all situations and we need Your Peace. I know You will be with all of us as we come together and do life with our families. Thank You for all that You will do and are doing in all of us.
Deb Cool is passionate about Jesus and women’s ministry. She currently leads a women’s small group through her church, LCBC Waynesboro.
Deb has been married for 42 years to the love of her life, Rodney. They have awesome sons whom have beautiful wives. And they are blessed with eight amazing grandchildren.