I was scrolling through Pinterest and of course it teases me with things “I might like” …often those things are quotes of catchy sayings to put in my letter board collection for future use. This one caught my eye and inspired me to dig a bit deeper…
Your mind will always believe everything you tell it
~ feed it faith
~ feed it truth
~ feed it with love
I have a friend that is going through a very serious battle with cancer, yet she has immense trust in God and continually provides her mind with faith, truth, and love…when she could be (understandably) filling her mind with doubt, lies, and hate toward the illness that is trying to take over her body.
Philippians 4:8-9 is a great guide: “Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – THINK about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice And the God of peace will be with you.”
The study note in my Bible for these verses says that Paul understood the influence of one’s thoughts on one’s life. What a person allows to occupy his mind will sooner or later determine his speech and actions. Paul’s exhortation to “think about these things” is followed by a second exhortation “put it into practice” The combination of virtues in verses 8-9 are sure to produce a wholesome thought pattern, which in turn will result in a life of moral and spiritual excellence.
Faith– is defined as the complete trust or confidence in something or someone (antonym: doubt)
- Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”
- Ephesians 3:17 “…so that Christ may dwell (be completely at home) in your hearts through faith.”
- Ephesians 6:16 “Take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 “For we live by faith not by sight.”
Truth – is defined as that which is true or in accordance with fact (antonym: falsehood/lie)
- Matthew 4:4 “Jesus answered, ‘it is written: Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
- Psalm 25:5 “Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior and my hope is in you all the day long.”
- John 1:17 “For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.”
Love – is defined as an intense feeling of deep affection (antonym: hate)
- Ephesians 5:1-2 “Follow God’s example therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”
- Luke 10:27 “He answered, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind… and Love your neighbors as yourself.’” (total devotion is demanded)
- Colossians 3:14 “And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.”
So after digging a bit deeper, I adjusted the original quote slightly:
Your mind will always believe everything you tell it, feed it:
~ FAITH in GOD
~ TRUTH from the WORD
~ with the LOVE of CHRIST
Cassandra lives in Smithsburg, Maryland with her husband Sam. They have two beautiful grown daughters and she is MeMe to the sweetest boy!
She is taking a break from working as an Occupational Therapist and enjoys gardening, walking/hiking, helping with her grandson and serving others.
Cassandra is a board member with The Connection and attends Lifehouse Church.